Poisonous Clarkeinda Mushrooms

by Alan Foos

Clarkeinda trachodes

Clarkeinda trachodes

This is Clarkeinda trachodes. It has caused many deaths in China and Asia and seems not to be mentioned often, but it is extremely deadly. It killed eight people in the village where I lived.

I had a lapse of judgment and ate three. Symptoms appeared in about an hour, severe vomiting and diarrhea. I refused treatment, and left the hospital with 56/55 blood pressure. I took daily 50gm vitamin C, 20 tablets silymarin 140mg, 20 tablets ALA - divided among 2+ hour intervals, for 10 days. This indeed helped overcome illness and prevent liver damage. Fortunately, vomiting sets in more quickly than with amanitas.

Alan Foos

Comments for Poisonous Clarkeinda Mushrooms

Click here to add your own comments

They look like Shaggy Parasols NEW
by: Lynda

They look like immature Shaggy Parasols exactly like them !
They will open up and become quite large 10 inches is not uncomon their gills are creamy and then go a light beige/ brown the stems if scratched will go a bright orangey brown colour and then go to brown, They have creamy white spores. They may grow simgularily but more often they have 3 or 4 in a clump. Mine grow in the grass that was old horse pasture. There is another very similar that has grey green gills when older creamy when young and their spores are a greenish colour.
They are poisonous... not to be confused,

Ditto in Laos
by: Anonymous

Hi Alan,
I have found Clarkindra trachodes three times in Laos and as mentioned by Iqbal it is rather easy to recognize by it's grey-greenish gills, the nice skirt when young and asymmetric raised plate at the center of the cap. A beauty!
The photo on top of page does not look like C. trachodes, though.
Ole SP.

Clarkeinda trachodes
by: Md. Iqbal Hosen

Yeah I think so and it is rare agaric and only prevailing in South East Asia like Bangladesh, Srilanka, India, China, Malaysia and so on. I've collected several fruit bodies from Bangladesh during 2009-2010 for the first time.

It is easily distinguishing by the present of fawn color plate like structure on the pileus surface and volva but it disappearing with the age. So you can easily identified of the fungus and never eat it due to its toxicity.

Iqbal Hosen (Ph.D. student)
Key laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography
Kunming Institute of Botany
Kunming, China

Thank you; Amy
by: Anonymous

Yes, it was a difficult experience, embarrassing, and I didn't mention that I ate these things on my 61st birthday! It wasn't fun wondering for a few days if they'd be my last or not. The village ladies found me rolling on my lawn and took me to the hospital. I don't like doctors, so I wasn't really brave, but I do think that the large doses of vitamin C, ALA and silymarin (brand Samarin here in Asia) saved my life. Hope the story will help others, this mushroom doesn't get the publicity it deserves, very deadly one! Thanks.

by: Amy

Wow, Alan, that's quite a story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'd actually never heard of Clarkeinda trachodes, and a search on the Internet revealed very little. I wasn't able to find anything other than drawn pictures, but they looked a lot like your photo here.

Man, you're brave. I'm not sure I would have left the hospital! Good for you though for coming up with a plan and taking control of your recovery. I hope your lapse in judgement can be a learning experience to others, and I'm so glad this story has a happy ending!

(For the reader 56/55 is a dangerously low blood pressure reading. Silymarin is a compound found in milk thistle, one of the most beneficial herbs for the liver that there is. Silymarin extracts are often given to patients in hospitals that have mushroom poisoning.)

Thanks again, Alan. Glad you're ok!!

p.s. I edited out your email address to protect your privacy and protect you from spam. Hope that's ok!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Poisonous Mushrooms.