This easy chicken and mushroom soup recipe is a classic base. It’s a quick, flavorful, and healthy dish that works as a heartier meal or as an appetizer.
Alter this recipe any way you see fit. Add chili powder and tomatoes for something spicy, or throw in some half and half for a creamy mushroom soup. If you want to keep it simple, just add some sliced carrots or other vegetables and you’re good to go!
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Chopped parsley
Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice them into medium-sized pieces.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Sauté the cut pieces of chicken until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove the chicken and add 1 tbsp olive oil, the chopped garlic, the chopped onion, and any other spices you desire. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Remove the onion mixture (you can put it in the same bowl as the chicken) and add the chopped mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms until they’ve browned, about 5 minutes.
Now put the onion mixture and chicken back in the pot and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the sherry and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes, make sure it heats up well before you serve it.
Garnish with parsley and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bread. Delicious!
- A few tsp of hot pepper flakes will spice things up, but only add a little at a time.
- Use leeks instead of onion, and white wine instead of sherry.
- Other additions to make this chicken mushroom soup more flavorful are sage, thyme, nutmeg, and/or a bay leaf.
- Add some chopped carrots, tomatoes, or other vegetables for a heartier soup.
- Mix up your meats. Add slices of pork or beef, or replace the chicken altogether (kinda defeats the purpose of a chicken soup recipe but it could still be a great base). As always, try to buy the most humanely raised meats that you can afford!